Saturday, January 21, 2012

More RAM!!!

I don't know how I was surviving with 4gb of RAM in my Mid-2009 MacBook Pro. Overall the speed was good for what I was doing, but that was before I started setting up and running professional audio systems.
     When I started getting my FOH together, I did not have any dynamics processors. In order to compensate for that, I purchased the program called "MainStage2" for my computer. This program allows me to run live dynamics processors on my computer with very low latency. The problem came when MainStage was running and processing audio while I had to make changes on the program. I would always get the infamous Beach ball of Death or the Pinwheel of Doom. I ran some benchmarks and realized that the programs I ran, especially MainStage, where using up all the computers memory. That is when I decided to upgrade to 8gb of RAM.
   Three days after ordering the RAM, it came in. Changing was just a matter of unscrewing the plate on the bottom and swapping out the old with the new. After putting everything back together, my computer was up and running with a lot more speed. It immediately recognized the new RAM, and applications were a lot more snappier when opening. If you run heavy applications then I would definitely recommend upgrading the RAM.

No comments: